Macomb County Animal Control hosts onsite adoptions during regular business hours. We house a wide variety of adoptable pets seeking loving furever homes.
Animals available for adoption can be viewed anytime on our Peftinder site. If you are considering adopting, it is important to meet a new pet in person. Our facility offers a special room that allows families to spend time bonding with a pet they are interested in adopting.
Applications can be submitted online by using our Adoption Application Form. Completion of this application does NOT guarantee adoption.
How does the adoption process work?
All of our adoptable pets are displayed on our website below. If you see an animal that you would like to be considered for then please complete an Adoption Application. Our adoption coordinators will then work to process your application, verifying proper preventative care, licensing (if applicable) and residential information. Once you submit your application it is a good idea to contact your vet office and provide them with permission to release records on your current or past pets so that the vet reference check can run smoothly. In addition, it is a good idea to email a copy of your rental/lease agreement with pet policy to expedite the application process. When your application has been approved, which could take up to 5 business days, our adoption coordinators will contact you to schedule a meet-and-greet. Regular adoption hours are by appointment m-f 10am-4pm.
What are the adoption requirements?
- Adopters must be 18 years or older
- Completed and approved Adoption Application
- Drivers License or State ID
- Rental Agreement with Pet Addendum (for those that do not own their home)
- Current dog(s)/cat(s) in the home must be spayed/neutered, unless there is a medical reason that they cannot be.
- Current dogs must be heartworm tested and be provided with heartworm prevention.
- Current dogs/cat(s) in the home must be maintained on species appropriate vaccinations, unless there is a medical reason they cannot.
- All adults in the home must be in agreement with the adoption
- Children in the home must be present for the meet-n-greet
- Current dog(s) in the home are required for a dog-to-dog meet-n-greet
How much are the adoption fees?
Adoption fees vary based on breed, age and size. We reserve the right to adjust adoption fees on our animals per our discretion. Each pet profile listed on our PetFinder page will specify individual adoption fees.
- Dogs and Puppy adoption fees typically range from $50 - $500.
- Cats and Kitten adoption fees typically range from $25 - $150.
What is included in the adoption fee?
Adoption fees cover:
- Vaccines (DHLPP, Bordatella and Rabies)
- Heartworm test and prevention (dogs/puppies)
- FeLV/FIV test (cats/kittens)
- Spay/Neuter surgery
- Flea prevention
*Dog license fee is NOT included in the adoption.
Area Animal Shelters / Humane Societies
Macomb County Animal Shelter
21417 Dunham Rd, Clinton Township, MI, 48036
Humane Society of Macomb
11350 22 Mile Rd, Shelby Township, MI, 48317
Shelter: (586) 731-9210
Clinic: (586) 739-6870
Oakland County Animal Shelter
1700 Brown Rd, Auburn Hills, MI, 48326
Michigan Humane Society (3 Branches)
3600 Auburn Rd, Auburn Hills, MI
7401 Chrysler Dr, Detroit, MI
37255 Marquette, Detroit, MI
Michigan Anti-Cruelty Society
13569 Joseph Campau, Detroit, MI, 48212
Detroit Animal Control
3511 W. Jefferson, Detroit, MI, 48212
St. Clair County Animal Control
3378 Griswald, Port Huron, MI, 48060
Harper Woods Animal Clinic
15612 Harper, Harper Woods, MI, 48225
Grosse Pointe Animal Clinic
15135 Kercheval, Grosse Pointe Park, MI
2395 W. 12 Mile Rd, Berkley, MI, 48072
(248) 541 900
Beverly Hills Vet Clinic Board For: Franklin, Bingham Farms and Southfield
425 N. Main, Clawson, MI, 48017
111 E. 9 Mile Rd, Ferndale, MI, 48030
300 W. 13 Mile Rd, Madison Hts., MI, 48071
25503 Clara Ln, Southfield, MI, 48076
Lapeer Animal Control
Livingston Animal Shelter
Other Animal Adoption Websites