covid-19 Emergency response statement
For the safety of our employees and the public we serve, the following is a proactive plan of action for Macomb County Animal Control (MCAC). MCAC is advising the public and all employees to take extra measures to mitigate the short and long-term effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. These measures include protecting themselves properly and to follow the CDC Guidelines to reduce risk of spreading the virus, as well as working to manage our current animal population and minimize the number of new animals and residents entering our facility.
As members of the public safety community we have an obligation to perform our duties during disasters. In accordance with the CDC recommendations in reducing the spread of COVID-19 and to limit personal interactions, the facility gates will remain closed and we are requesting residents to call upon arrival. Effective immediately, the following safeguards are being implemented:
- Limited Public Access to the facility
- High Priority\Emergency Calls Only
- Remote Pet Licensing
- Pre-approved adoptions by appointments
- Owner requested euthanasia by appointment
- Temporary suspension of our Community Cat Program (TNR)
- Removal of deceased domestic animals only
- Defer non-emergency owner surrender intakes
Area Animal Shelters / Humane Societies
Macomb County Animal Shelter
21417 Dunham Rd, Clinton Township, MI, 48036
Humane Society of Macomb
11350 22 Mile Rd, Shelby Township, MI, 48317
Shelter: (586) 731-9210
Clinic: (586) 739-6870
Oakland County Animal Shelter
1700 Brown Rd, Auburn Hills, MI, 48326
Michigan Humane Society (3 Branches)
3600 Auburn Rd, Auburn Hills, MI
7401 Chrysler Dr, Detroit, MI
37255 Marquette, Detroit, MI
Michigan Anti-Cruelty Society
13569 Joseph Campau, Detroit, MI, 48212
Detroit Animal Control
3511 W. Jefferson, Detroit, MI, 48212
St. Clair County Animal Control
3378 Griswald, Port Huron, MI, 48060
Harper Woods Animal Clinic
15612 Harper, Harper Woods, MI, 48225
Grosse Pointe Animal Clinic
15135 Kercheval, Grosse Pointe Park, MI
2395 W. 12 Mile Rd, Berkley, MI, 48072
(248) 541 900
Beverly Hills Vet Clinic Board For: Franklin, Bingham Farms and Southfield
425 N. Main, Clawson, MI, 48017
111 E. 9 Mile Rd, Ferndale, MI, 48030
300 W. 13 Mile Rd, Madison Hts., MI, 48071
25503 Clara Ln, Southfield, MI, 48076
Lapeer Animal Control
Livingston Animal Shelter
Other Animal Adoption Websites
Having a plan in place for pets is critical; individuals who become sick or require hospitalization will need to have someone to take their animals. We encourage residents to be prepared. Here are a few key points to consider:
- People should identify a family member or friend who can care for pets if someone in the household becomes ill.
- Have crates, food and extra supplies on hand for quick movement of pets.
- Keep all animal vaccines up to date in the event boarding becomes necessary.
- Ensure all medications are documented with dosages and administering directions. Including the prescription from your veterinarian is also helpful.
- Pets should have identification: collar with ID Tag\Digital Pet License and Microchip.
Although we have deterred the public from entering our facility without an appointment, we are still encouraging adoptions. Our adoptable pets can be found on our PetFinder page and Adoption Applications can be completed online here.
We are also seeking emergency foster homes to help offset the anticipated influx of animals entering the shelter. Foster applications can be completed online here.